Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cooper Airport

One of the old airplane hangars near the barn.


I grew up on the land my sister and I now farm, but I still learn new and exciting things about our tiny little space in this world all the time.  My most recent discovery is that Sunny Creek Farm doubles as the Cooper Airport.  As children, and now even, it was normal to see a small aircraft occasionally take off from one of the two airplane hangars on the property.  The "landing strip" was where my sisters and I learned to drive.  The airplanes, hangars and well-maintained strip of grass were just one of the quirks of the farm.  I never thought twice about them... 

Apparently, forty years ago when my Uncle Mike started flying a small plane, he and his fellow flying friends would take off and land their planes on a grassy strip of land between corn fields.  He, together with my grandfather decided to established the strip as a private airport with the FAA to add a layer of protection to their airspace, etc.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment